The following list of financial abbreviations will include abbreviations for business, banks, finance, and some of the abbreviations from the stock market.
There are some abbreviations and acronyms that refer to financial matters in general. Others are used more by businesses and accountants. Following are lists of both of these.
First are general financial abbreviations and acronyms:
- AIR - Assumed Interest Rate
- APR - Annual Percentage Rate
- ARM - Adjustable Rate Mortgage
- CD - Certificate of Deposit
- EFT - Electronic Funds Transfer
- ETF - Exchange Traded Funds
- FDIC - Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
- FOREX - Foreign Exchange
- FRB - Federal Reserve Board
- GNP - Gross National Product
- IRA - Individual Retirement Account
- LOI - Letter Of Intent
- MMKT - Money Market
- NAV - Net Asset Value
- NYSE - New York Stock Exchange
- PSP - Profit Sharing Plan
- REIT - Real Estate Investment Trust
- SEC - Securities Exchange Commission
- TSA - Tax-Sheltered Annuity
- YTM - Yield To Maturity
Banking Acronyms and Financial Abbreviations
- CAGR - Compound annual growth rate
- CAPEX - Capital Expenditures
- COB - Close of Business
- EPS - Earnings per share
- LLC - Limited Liability Company
- MTD - Month-to-Date
- NAV - Net Asset Value
- NCND - Non-Circumvent and Non-Disclosure
- NDA - Non-Disclosure Agreement
- P&L - Profit and Loss
- P/E - Price-to-earnings ratio
- QTD - Quarter-to-Date
- ROA - Return on assets
- ROCE - Return On Capital Employed
- ROE - Return on Equity
- ROI - Return on Investment
- ROIC - Return on Invested Capital
- RONA - Return on net assets
- ROS - Return on Sales
- SIV - Structured Investment Vehicle
- TSR - Total Shareholder Return
- WC - Working capital
- YTD - Year-to-date
Lastly, here are some abbreviations for people whose jobs are in business and finance:
- CAO - Chief Accounting Officer
- CFA - Chartered Financial Analyst
- CFM - Certified Financial Manager
- CFO - Chief Financial Officer
- CIA - Certified Internal Auditor
- CISA - Certified Information Systems Auditor
- CMA - Certified Management Accountant
- CMO - Chief Marketing Officer
- COO - Chief Operating Officer
- CPA - Certified Public Accountant
- CPP - Certified Payroll Professional
- CSO - Chief Security Officer
- CTO - Chief Technology Officer
Stock Market Abbreviations
- ADTV - Average Daily Trading Volume. It is the average of the amount of stock traded during a certain amount of time during a day.
- AMEX - American Stock Exchange. It is the third largest in the United States. It has more than 700 companies in it and is headquartered in New York City.
- CB - Current Bid. It is the amount of the bids at the current time.
- CMP - Current Market Price. It is the price at which the stock is currently being traded. This figure is between the asking price of the stock and the bidding price.
- DJIA - Dow Jones Industrial Average. The average is taken from 30 of the top traded securities. It was first calculated by the founder and editor of the Wall Street Journal Charles Dow.
- IPO - Initial Public Offering. This occurs the first time a stock is offered to the public.
- IRA - Individual Retirement Account. It provides tax breaks for people who are saving for retirement and invests in the stock market.
- NASDAQ - National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotation. Over 3,000 companies are traded on it and it is the second largest in the United States.
- PFD - Preferred stock. This is stock which has a higher priority than common stock.
- QTE - Quote. It refers to a stock’s last price it was traded for on its exchange.
There are many financial terms, each with their own abbreviations. For abbreviations on terms not covered here, consult your financial professional.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Financial Abbreviations." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 17 August 2018. <http://abbreviations.yourdictionary.com/articles/financial-abbreviations.html>.
Financial Abbreviations. (n.d.). Retrieved August 17th, 2018, from http://abbreviations.yourdictionary.com/articles/financial-abbreviations.html