Cisco wireless has developed a glossary to define Cisco wireless terms and acronyms that are essential to understanding the Internet official definitions. This Cisco wireless terms and acronyms guide is the first dictionary of its kind that is specifically targeted as being a comprehensive Internet and wireless resource of terminology. These definitions are long, precise, and complicated; but they are aimed at being the industry standard.
Below are some of the definitions that were created by Cisco to explain wireless terms and acronyms.
- Authentication confirms a user who is requesting services is a valid user of the network services requested.
- Authorization is the process of denying or permitting a client permission to do something on the network, such as accessing a file.
- Accounting is the process of tracking a user's time, possibly for internal billing purposes.
- name.com - Commercial
- name.edu - Educational
- name.gov - Government
- ISPname.net - Network provider (such as an ISP)
- name.ar - Argentina
- name.au - Australia
- When applied to a medium access control (MAC) service data unit (MSDU), it is an MSDU with a single recipient address as the destination address (DA).
- When applied to a MAC protocol data unit (MPDU) or control frame, it is an MPDU or control frame with a single recipient address as the receiver address (RA).
The above information on these terms and abbreviations is from the Cisco Wireless Glossary, a detailed source for explanation of wireless terms.